Re: Seeking sample condominium docs (Declaration, Bylaws, Rules and Regs)
From: drmaryann49 (drmaryann49mac.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 11:42:09 -0800 (PST)
I second what Sue said. We revised our CC&R and By Laws a couple year ago.
(FWIW We’re an HOA not a condo.) We worked with a lawyer who was very familiar
with HOA law in our state (AZ) then educated him about the differences between
us and a typical HOA. We ended up with three documents: pretty traditional
CC&Rs and By Laws and a Policy Manual we call the Villagers Guide. They are
equally legal but most of the cohousing exceptions are in the Manual. Revising
the CC&Rs and By Laws requires a vote of the homeowners while the Manual is
kept up-to-date through our consensus decision-making process.

When we have to act like an HOA (which we’ve had to do a couple times) we can
in complete compliance with state statues but day-to-day we are a cohousing
community. It’s important that you work with a lawyer familiar with your
structure (condo?) in your state as state laws vary widely.

My .02,

Mary Ann
Manzanita Village, AZ where winter kissed us with several inches of snow on
Monday then deferred back to early spring by Tuesday.