Growth of Community Associations
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 06:02:28 -0800 (PST)
Months and months ago, someone asked me for my source for a statistic on the
growth of communities governed by associations. It is from the 2013 Community
Association Fact Book.

"It's been said that the growth of community associations (condominiums,
planned communities and cooperatives) offers the greatest single extension of
homeownership opportunities since the housing reforms of the New Deal and the
provision of GI Bill benefits just after World War II. The Community
Associations Institute estimates that in 1970 there were 10,000 community
associations nationwide. In 2013, there are 328,500 associations housing more
than 65 million Americans. From its inception, CAI has grown along with
association housing, along with the homeowners and along with association
professionals -- to foster better communities based on fostering harmony,
transparency and sustainability."

The Fact Book quotes statistics from the 2013 National and State Statistical
Review on their website.

http://www.caionline.org/info/Documents/2013%20National%20and%20State%20Statistics.pdf

CAI has an incredible number of resources.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC