Sound Class Transmission Rating
From: LESLIE PETERSON (leslie.petersonme.com)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 07:19:35 -0800 (PST)
PLEASE INCLUDE COPY OF REPLY DIRECTLY TO:  leslie.peterson [at] me.com

Can anyone in existing multi-family cohousing tell me:
1.  What sound class rating/s do you have in your living units for a)
floors-ceilings and b) walls:
     -  Sound Transmission Class (STC, airborne sound), and
     -  Impact Insulation Class (IIC, impact sound)?
2.  How is this working for you and your fellow cohousers?

I am looking for a NUMBER - and how satisfied you and/or your fellow cohousers
are.  The STC (and possibly IIC) rating number should be in the architectural
plan and in contract/s with the subcontractor/s who built the floors-ceilings
and walls.

I am NOT looking for info or suggestions on materials and design (e.g. carpets
vs no carpets, number of sheetrock layers, hollow wall designs, wood vs cement
construction, etc).

I have read Cohousing-L threads on the topic from March, 2008 and February,
2012 regarding acoustics which include indications of some unsatisfactory
experiences and some varying industry recommendations.  However I do not see
specific info on what ratings have been built in multi-family cohousing units
and how cohousers experience their sound insulation.

I am looking for specific info on:
1) STC/IIC rating/s (a rating is a number) that have been implemented for a)
floors-celings and/or b) walls, and
2) How satisfied people are with their acoustics (note that satisfaction level
is meaningful when related to a rating number only).

Many thanks in advance to those willing to check their records!
Leslie