Re: Seeking sample condominium docs (Declaration, Bylaws, Rules and Regs)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 06:55:16 -0800 (PST)
> On Mar 6, 2015, at 9:49 AM, Diana Carroll <dianaecarroll [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Be sure to get professional advice from someone who works in or with the
> mortgage industry on what language will be acceptable to potential lenders.
> The last thing you want is for no one in your community to be able to get a
> mortgage or refi because of something wacky in your docs.

Do we have actual examples in which lenders wouldn't lend based on the bylaws.
People say all kinds of things, particularly mortgage brokers, that are not
substantiated.

We had one instance of mortgage broker saying a bank wouldn't lend based on
their belief that the FHA refused to insure a loan with a right of first
refusal clause. The next bank was no problem. In the end it was believed to be
an inexperiences mortgage broker.

Another broker said a bank refused a refi because an appraisal that said we
weren't a normal condo and thus there was no comparable. I asked for details on
which bank and to see the appraisal and got no information. The broker took it
to another bank with no problem.

Aside from the period when the FHA was going nuts and everyone was having
problems, I keep reading the same general cautions but not seeing evidence.
Just because an isolated broker or bank officer says something, doesn't make it
true. And there are a LOT of banks out there.

Our bylaws include right of first refusal and it has been a problem with only
one bank. It's been 15+ years of mortgages and many refinances. This has been a
period in which interest rates have fallen so many have refinanced 2-3 times.
One unit has been sold 3 times. Others twice. So we have a lot of points where
there would have been objections. My guess is 150-200 times. There might have
been some objections that I haven't heard about, of course, but nothing so
major that the Board or Admin Team became concerned or even involved in.

I called my bank a few years ago, Wells Fargo, and finally got through to a
person who would review our bylaws (don't remember the department). She asked
what who I was having problems with. I said I was a board member and we wanted
to know if there was anything in the bylaws that would concern Wells Fargo. She
that said there is nothing in here that we even care about. All we care about
is insurance.

(I'm fairly sure this was Wells Fargo. It's been a number of years but I've
always been financed by a major bank. The other one would have been Citibank.)

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC