Re: Sound Class Transmission Rating
From: Jessie Kome (jehakome.com)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 07:45:10 -0800 (PST)
Hi-

I am checking to see whether we put a number in our docs for Eastern Village
Cohousing back in 2003 or so. On the advice of our sister (aunt?) community
Takoma Village Cohousing, we did insist on spec and design changes for walls to
address sound transmission issues. We followed up by directing our owners'
representative to be obsessive about inspecting implementation and immediately
reporting issues.

Overall, our experience with sound transmission between units has been
satisfactory. There are some oddities, and crying babies still can be heard in
neighboring units in a muffled way. Also, we learned that some decorating
choices, such a fastening a headboard to a wall, can thwart unit design and
amplify sound. If your members care deeply about sound transmission, I
recommend educating them about how post move-in choices can change perceived
performance.

I don't believe EVCwill have anything spec'd for floors. We were a gut rehab
and all our floors were existing very thick concrete with steel rebar.

-Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland

Sent from my iPad