Re: Sound Class Transmission Rating
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 07:57:44 -0800 (PST)
Severe budgeting problems forced compromising on Cornerstone construction
standards, so our walls and floor/ceilings are of the most basic assemblies:
PARTITIONS between units are 5/8” firecode gypsum board each side of 2x4 or 2x6
studs, insulated.  We are not happy.  US Gypsum manuals put this kind of
construction at STC 46.
FLOOR/CEILING ASSEMBLIES between units are typically hardwood over structural
plywood; 2x10 floor joists; and 5/8” firewood gypsum board on strapping.  We
are not happy.  The manuals say STC 39 and IIC 56.
To try to stay happier, we have learned be quiet in our units.  A couple of
years ago, I retrofitted one of our common room ceilings with an additional
layer of 5/8” on resilient channels, and the upstairs occupant is much happier.

RPD