Sound Class Transmission Rating
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 20:52:48 -0800 (PST)
I have the as-built drawings in PDF format for Eastern Village Cohousing. I see
three places where walls are addressed:

. Cross-section diagrams of all wall types, including fire rating, UL design
number, and GA file number (A6-2)

. Finish schedule showing what wall types are used in various locations
(hallways, janitor's closets, individual unit bathrooms, etc.) (A6-3)

. Cross-section diagram of dwelling unit separation walls (A5-4)

I don't see any reference to STC or IIC numbers, but I don't know a lot about
that aspect of construction. I'm happy to send you the three sheets if you want
to try to figure them out.

As Jessie mentioned earlier, EVC is a rehab of a 1950's office building with
six-inch concrete floors, so sound transmission between floors is negligible.
Sound transmission between units is minimal, with a few exceptions, such as the
two-story units where the spiral stair is attached to a common wall or in cases
where residents have attached things to a common wall. My impression as
building manager was that most residents were very happy with the level of
sound-proofing.

I'm glad you're taking sound-proofing so seriously. I walked away from a condo
purchase the day before closing because the upstairs neighbors came home during
my final walk-through and I could hear every footstep and every word they said.
Cost me $20,000, and I didn't regret it for a minute. I couldn't have lived
with it.

Katie Henry