Re: Sound Class Transmission Rating
From: Jim Mayer (jimpentastich.org)
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 07:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
Leslie,

I live in an apartment, not cohousing, but it was new construction and we
asked similar questions before moving in. We have an end-unit townhouse on
the top three floors of a four story building.

Our walls have an STC of 52 and our floors have an STC of 62. I didn't know
about IIC so I didn't ask. I will the next time I move.

Our experience is that we don't hear much in the way of conversation or
music from our neighbors. If someone shouts we'll hear it, but normal
conversation is inaudible. We don't hear vacuum cleaners or garbage
disposals.

What we do hear is "thumping", especially when people run up and down the
stairs in the townhouse next door. There is an apartment below us and our
downstairs neighbors definitely hear impact sound.

At one point our downstairs neighbors performed an experiment with us. My
wife went downstairs and I walked around on our lower floor and stairs.
When I walked barefoot and took my weight on my forefoot there was no
problem (feet are amazingly good shock absorbers). When I landed my steps
heel first (a "heel strike") the sound came right through. Carpet on the
stairs made little difference. Rugs on the floor didn't help either.

I walk quietly, which is fine for me, but is not a viable solution... A lot
of people (apparently including all kids)  land their steps heel first and
the sound of the impact travels right through.

My recommendation: pay for the good construction.

Jim