Re: Growth of Community Associations
From: David Mandel (dlmandelgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 20:13:18 -0700 (PDT)
I would dispute the assertion that community associations per se lead to an
"extension of homeownership opportunities." (Aside from the discussion of
to what extent that is a good thing.) It depends on a community's goals,
which are not always altruistic and concerned with promoting inclusion,
democracy, etc. Cohousers, who in general tend to share relatively
progressive values, can lose sight of the many times when associations'
motives include finding ways to establish a private government that
circumvents some of the basic rules of democracy. CAI indeed offers a lot
of good nuts and bolts tips, but for a political counterpoint, see
https://www.calhomelaw.org/. Perhaps there are parallel groups in some
other states.
David