Re: CoHo Condo Fees
From: David Clements and Evan Richardson (evdavwesaol.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 04:48:14 -0700 (PDT)

Robert,
Westwood Cohousing is anticipating a budget of $44,000 for operating, $34,000
for reserves.  For 24 units with about 32,000 sf living space, this works out
to an average of $270 per month per unit, or $0.20 per sf per month.
We just finished reroofing and repainting, our biggest expenses to date, and
had adequate reserves without needing a special assessment.
We began 1997-98, and underfunded reserves by about half in the first 5-10
years, because we did our first reserve analysis ourselves.   We needed a
professional reserve study to get a grasp on the true costs.  I would recommend
a reserve study sooner rather than later.   They will tell you, as a made up
example, that reroofing will cost $50,000 and will have to be done every 20
years, so the "cost" or "'liability" to the association per year of the roofs
(and the amount roughly that should be accumulated in reserves for the roofs)
is $2500 per year.  The ideal reserve contribution is the sum of the yearly
costs (or "liabilities" to the association) of all the individual components or
items that the association is responsible for maintaining, repairing, and
replacing.    More for us, since we maintain the houses.  Much less for
communities that only maintain sidewalks, parking lot, and common lawns.
Good luck.
David Clements

Message:
1