Re: Socioeconomic Diversity in Cohousing
From: S. Kashdan (s_kashdanhotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 17:35:34 -0700 (PDT)
Here at Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, now fourteen years into living
on site, we didn't consciously aim at having socio-economic diversity. Given
all the work of putting together our project, it seemed too complicated for
anyone to try to qualify under the laws of Washington State for having
affordable units. However, over the years, it has developed that we have
residents with diverse incomes. There are some quite well-off homeowners,
some who are less so, some living on limited retirement incomes, and a few
who were only able to buy their places because they were helped with private
loans from others when we were first moving in. We also have some people who
rent rooms in the homes of owners, and a few who rent entire apartments.
Some of the renters are earning decent incomes, and some are living on
limited incomes. Renters do not have any say in financing issues, although
they can be as fully involved in other kinds of decisions as they want to
be.

There is generally a cooperative spirit among all residents. But, sometimes
owners who are well-off and owners who are less so may differ on how to fund
new projects, such as getting solar panels for our common house. However,
differences over how to finance projects also occur between people with
different ideas about how to manage funds, even if they have similar
economic resources.

All my best,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan