Re: Socioeconomic Diversity in Cohousing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 01:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
Our experience at Cornerstone is not dissimilar.  We carefully avoid learning
the details of who has how much money, but even so, we’ve got some theories
about household financial standing.  For instance, we think that some of the
families in our City-managed limited equity units have more budget flexibility
than some of the families in our market-rate units.

Moreover, there isn’t always an apparent strong correlation between household
budget flexibility and willingness to invest in the community.  It seems as
though some households thought to be on a “tight budget” never complain about
assessments, while others that appear “well off” are resistant to any
expenditure that doesn’t offer an immediate benefit to them.

In general, what do condos and HOAs argue about?  Money.  Cohos are not much
different, although we like to think we do a better job of it.

Do we?

RPD