Re: Retrofit cohousing list / at conference
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:47:53 -0700 (PDT)
Fred and Kevin – – I'm very excited about this workshop coming up at the
conference. With the high cost of land and/or building sites in the Washington
DC area I am now encouraging groups to see this method of creating cohousing
communities in our area.

The more I deal with land prices and the massive amount of money it takes to
begin a cohousing community as new built the more inclined I am to see that
using existing housing stock makes a lot more economic sense.   There are many
other advantages one of which is inviting the neighbors who are already
established in the neighborhood to participate. Can't beat that with a stick.

Where it makes sense, people will continue to pool their resources and build
from scratch. But in DC where the average cost of a new 2BR condo is
$440,000... I don't know… I just shake my head.

Maybe I'm totally wrong about all this. I don't like to discourage anyone from
going after their vision.

I do see retrofit cohousing as another tool in the toolbox of getting cohousing
established in DC.

Thanks for making this offering at the upcoming conference. My guess is it's
going to be filled overflowing. I'm getting there early…

Ann Zabaldo
Washington DC

Sent from my iPhone