Re: to borrow or not to borrow?
From: Patricia Lautner (lautnerpjpcohousing.org)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
I recommend that you set it up the following way:

1) The equity membership dues should be non-interest baring.  These should
be set up as a percentage of the estimated unit price - many groups choose
10%-20%.  At JP Cohousing, we required an EM fee of 10%.  As the budget
changed over the development period, members would need to contribute more.

2) Create a low/mod EM fee of something less - say 5% of estimated unit
costs.  You could also allow eligible members to make payments toward the
5% over time.  This will allow your lower income households to participate.

3) You should absolutely accept loans from members after the EM fees are
met.  Why not offer the interest to your membership first?

Good luck,

Patti
Communitas Development
JP Cohousing - Boston MA