Cohousing Benefits Presentation -- any ideas?
From: Emilie Parker (emilie.v.parkergmail.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Alice, for the helpful suggestions and for recommending I post this
on [C-L].

Where can i find statistics and such about cohousing benefits?  I need info
on how cohousing is beneficial -- not just for residents.  We are
developing a presentation that we can use when we present an offer on the
land which includes trying to get the sellers onboard with helping us.
Kinda of like an investor pitch.

Thank you,

Emilie

-----------------

Emilie Parker

emilie.v.parker [at] gmail.com

303-317-4558 <file://localhost/tel/303-317-4558> main

240-350-8533 <file://localhost/tel/240-350-8533> cell

Reply:

Alice Alexander 9:45AM  3/25/15

Emilie, in an ideal world, I'd mail you lots of resources, and a ready-made
presentation - but I really don't have anything that concise! Most of our
presentations are geared to benefits for the cohousers, although we talk
about benefits for society (that "building resilient neighborhoods"). This

Report of Survey of Cohousing <http://www.cohousing.org/node/2023> [
http://www.cohousing.org/node/2023]

has a section on benefits of cohousing that goes beyond member benefits and
touches on societal benefits.

The research has been haphazard at best (Coho/US doesn't have resources to
fund; and it's so small as a housing/lifestyle choice, academic
institutions haven't focused as yet). I remember reading a study from
perhaps 2008 - but now can't find - that indicated cohousing promotes
sustainable practices - not just that cohousing attracts people with that
interest and likely behavior but that the structure of cohousing
facilitates/encourages more sustainability.

Lots of anecdotal evidence that cohousing

- reduces energy costs, not just in building facilities, but in less spent
on transportation of private cars (as simple as reporting that a cohouser
went from 4 tanks of gas in a month to one) - that also implies less stress
on transportation structures

- reduces health care costs by (1) keeping folks healthier in the first
place (2) when there is a health issue, supporting the person so they get
back on their feet and don't land in a nursing home and (3) maintaining
folks aging in community/place much longer

- growing up in community produces young adults who appear to be more
educated and "productive" (that's subjective of course, but translates to
*working,* and working in higher level jobs)

- increases civic engagement, which benefits communities/societies

- cohousing maintains market values better than the general housing market
with a lower than average default rate (there is a study out there, but not
readily available - this is an area that Coho/US is exploring investing in)

Emilie, you could also post this request on coho-l, since it could be that
others have created such presentations - and we could package them up as a
resource on the website! See, we are all a work in progress. I hope this is
helpful, and I'd like to do more. Please stay in touch on this.

Alice