Re: Cohousing Benefits Presentation -- any ideas?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 05:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Emilie and all —

I have lots of ideas.

What you are asking for is something I’ve been championing forever.  This is
the information we need to make housing policy, for marketing, and for making a
case for building cohousing before planning commissions, boards, etc  We have
tons of anecdotal information.  What we need are data.  Solid data.

CohoUS through its Research and Writers group is well positioned to collect
data and PUBLISH information for all of us to use.

What CohoUS needs and R&W in particular needs, is financial support to get this
information for all of us to use.  Wouldn’t it be great to go before a planning
commission and say “Cohousing reduces latch key kids by ____%.  Living in
cohousing increases a sense of well being by ____%.  Cohousing reduces the
calls for municipal intervention (e.g. calls to police for barking dogs) by
____%”

I would love this info.

We can get this info by supporting CohoUS and R&W financially.

What most people on this list may not know or understand is that CohoUS exists
on an almost totally anorexic voluntary budget — I don’t even know what the
figure is — plus whatever it makes through ads on the website and its
conferences.  This conference in Durham is the first in 2 years.  For any of
you who have headed up a non profit … this is really an awkward way to fund an
organization with as big a mission as CohoUS.

What can you do?
— Volunteer to head up a project that will benefit you and everyone in
cohousing.  (Need a project?  Here’s one:  pick a subject in cohousing that
interests you — any subject — comb through the Coho-L archives and compile
people’s remarks and develop a “best practices” list for that subject.  This
would make an excellent research subject for a student!)
— Make a substantial  financial contribution targeted to R&W.
— Help develop ways to get CohoUS financially stable.

—Come to the conference and be ready to pitch in afterwards to push the
organization forward.

I’m sure Alice as CohoUS director can add to this list!

With an almost totally volunteer organization, the organization works because
WE work for it.  We make it happen. CohoUS and cohousing will continue to
cruise along doing its best to get done what it can.  It will make a major leap
when it is supported financially.  If you have any professional background in
non-profits I’m sure Alice and the board will be delighted to have you work
with them.

Meanwhile, when you ask for data … you might have to generate it yourself.
This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Help out where you can!

Onward!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing