Re: Benefits of cohousing for Diane Margolis
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 04:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
Carolyn Dyer wrote on 29 Mar 2015:

>*The Blue Zones* movement and book by Mark Buettner emphasizes the
>importance of community and connectedness to long and happy lives.
>The book documents a study originally supported by National Geographic to
>identify the characteristics of communities around the world where people
>live longest and happiest. Many of the strategies and practices identified
>either describe cohousing communities or are ones cohousing communities
>could commit to to provide benefits of cohousing. Unfortuantely I don't
>have time at present to point to specifics, but I encourage those
>interested to explore.
>Iowa City and the state of Iowa are working to becoming Blue Zone places.
>Carolyn Dyer
>Board of Managers
>Iowa City Cohousing
>developer of Prairie Hill Cohousing
>iowacitycohousing.org
>cdyer1621 [at] gmail.com

Interesting observation Carolyn.

 From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Buettner  :
>In April 2008, Buettner released a book on his findings, The Blue
>Zones: Lessons for Living Longer From the People Who've Lived the
>Longest, through National Geographic Books. In September 2009,
>Buettner gave a TED talk on the topic.
>http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_buettner_how_to_live_to_be_100

The Blue ones website is: http://www.bluezones.com/

Anyone know if Dan is familiar with cohousing?

I have not studied any of these much yet but as it happens, Dan is from
the Twin Cities and will be talking at the Minneapolis Library April 27.
If I get a chance to ask him a question, what should I ask?

Fred