Re: management services vs self-management at the building stage
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 05:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
On May 5, Sharon Villines wrote: (sharonsharonvillines.com)

>> On May 5, 2015, at 9:24 PM, Allison tom <allison.tom [at] telus.net> wrote:
>>
>> No, I mean a management company who oversees the process of land acquisition,
>> building, community formation.
>
>I don't think you will find anyone who does all those things. There
>are people like Chris Scott Hanson who manage the upfront part of land
>acquisition but he doesn't do building or community formation. Chris
>has a good bit of information about the process on his site:
>http://www.urbancohousingassociates.com
>
>Other people do design and may oversee construction. Other people (you) do
>community formation.

Unlike 20 years ago when this list started there are now cohousing
professionals to do / help with various parts of developing a cohousing
community in some locations.

Is there a document listing cohousing professionals, WITH what aspects of
the process they do sort of like what Sharon wrote above but covering
many pros?

Other things that would be useful in such a document are:
1) an outline of the aspects of formation/development coordinated wtih the
   listing proposed above.
2) examples of how multiple pros could be engaged to complete a development
3) the geographic areas various pros are willing to work
4) minimum core group size / minimum group wherewithal / minimum stage of
   formation that pros are willing to work with

Note that 3 & 4 might be interrelated - willingness to work further from
home base with a more solid group.

In my opinion the big challenge that I am not aware of pros to help
with is the very early stage of finding interested/committed/motivated
people to form a core group.  And then there is the challenge of
finding those people willing to move on forming a cohousing community
at the same time.  There seems to be interest in being a part of
cohousing but not right now...

Fred