Re: management services vs self-management at the building stage
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 07:06:49 -0700 (PDT)
Personally I do not think there is a single stage of our project that "doing it
ourselves" did not cost us A GREAT DEAL of money, A MASSIVE AND PAINFUL loss of
time, and a fair amount of heartache.

We lost a great property because we didn't have a professional that knew local
politics. (and in fact we allowed to be called into play a law that didn't have
to be called into play and thus could have avoided the whole thing that lost us
the property.)

We lost money by saving money not having a professional supervise the
construction. We lost money by saving money not talking to lawyers about the
ending of the construction and sales.

We were often faced with hard questions that we didn't know the answer and
needed to answer as quickly as possible and so gave the wrong answer, or a
guess, or an answer that had consequences we didn't predict.

Professionals know the stuff that we don't even know that we don't know.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.worcesterfellowship.org
www.mosaic-commons.org