management services vs self-management for cohousing development
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 22:06:49 -0700 (PDT)
There are so many redefinitions being postulated, I'll offer a professional
perspective:
"Development requires the ability to envision new projects and the perseverance
and aptitude to actually get them built"The role of the developer is to
orchestrate the entire development process from start to finish. Developers can
be one individual outsourcing all the work to third parties, or a large firm
which handles everything in house. Either way, the developer must have
knowledge of nearly every process, phase and service involved, including site
selection, market analysis, finance, construction, leasing, and sales - and it
doesn't hurt to have legal and transactional skills to handle the contracts and
liability concerns present in development projects. Development is a dynamic
business field with a steep learning curve. The developer is often required to
be the first one in with equity and the last to get paid, but if the process is
managed correctly, the payouts will be well worth the time and effort it took
to get the development done. In the current environment where owners are more
conscious of the bottom line, it is crucial that a developer has knowledge and
ability to execute on nearly all of the development process.
Information on this page provided courtesy of Cornell University Baker Program
in Real EstateTo enhance this definition from my own professional experience,
there is a big difference between a "Developer" who invests financial equity;
and a "Development Manager" who typically manages the process without investing
much, if any, financial equity.

At Liberty Village, MD, we self developed, starting with a visionary who read
Chuck & Katie's Book in 1988-89, shared his vision and went public with
organizing efforts through a 3 x 5 card on the bulletin board of a community
food co-op. 10 years later, we had explored the feasibility of a great many
properties; enrolled in membership a community planner, a civil engineer, an
architect, a Realtor, and 23 partner households with invested capital, all
committed to operating in facilitated meetings and decision making by
consensus.

We had also optioned a 27 acre improved farm, rezoned the property twice,
completed all approved site engineering, obtained limited commitments for
public sewer & water, all to be developed at our expense, closed a loan for
acquisition funds and acquired the property, subdivided and sold off the major
improvements and 4 acres of the property, closed a much larger loan locally for
development funding, and in 2 more years, started moving in. In another 5
years, we had 18 homes built and occupied and approvals for 20 more, yet to be
built.  We are still at that plateau, but we have a wonderful pedestrian
community with only 8 ares developed for all 38 home sites and 15 acres of
permanent open space in meadows, woodlands, and wetlands, next door to a 105
acre county park that is also mostly open space as well as major active sports
fields.

The key opportunity of self development is the organic community building
aspects of the process. The burning souls who developed Liberty Village have
far more invested here than their savings. But perhaps the driving force for
our self development was frugality, not wanting to risk having any predatory
developer compromise our vision for its own profitability.  So our major
decision was to defer developing a new common house and invest our limited
capital in the infrastructure for all 38 homes.

Every community that sponsors a development must make tradeoffs. Those are in 4
strict categories: Size, quality, schedule and budget. If you are budget
constrained, then you have to keep the size and quality within the scale of the
budget, or risk insolvency leading to bankruptcy. Those are the decisions that
need to be made, not by a developer, but by the fledgling community, hopefully
guided by ethical development professionals.  Either enroll them or hire them,
but be sure they are part of your process.

Cheers and best wishes to all cohousers, especially to Chuck and Katie for
their wisdom and global leadership.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD
http://www.libertyvillage.com
Yes, we do have lots and homes for rent and sale.

Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 21:36:51 -0400
From: Elizabeth Magill pastorlizm [at] gmail.com

Well our town is 3500 people so I wouldn't describe us as urban.  I don't know
if we count as small when our budget was $22 million. That is for two
communities, not one.

What do you do when you can't get water at the depth you expected and need a
plan B for the well?
(Should have been determined before closing on the acquisition)
Or the perc test is failed?
(Should have been determined before closing on the acquisition)
Or there is hidden toxic trash on the left corner of property?
(Should have been determined before closing on the acquisition)
Or you discover you forgot to file the only form needed for approval?
(All requirements should have been determined in the feasibility analysis
before closing on the acquisition)
That's the kind of stuff professionals just do, while you have to figure out.

We all believed we were great do-it-your-selfers. And we are in many ways.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
http://www.worcesterfellowship.org
http://www.mosaic-commons.org
508-450-0431

On May 7, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Jerry McIntire <jerry.mcintire [at] gmail.com>