Re: New Member Screening
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 07:39:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom and all —

If you are organized as a condominium you cannot by law restrict a sale or
resale.   It’s private property owned by an individual and a homeowner has the
right to sell to whomever he/she wishes. (Exceptions:  race, religion, creed.)

However … there are some steps a cohousing condo CAN do to increase the
likelihood of a “good match” between the buyer and the community.  I will be
presenting a workshop on this very thing at the upcoming CohoUS conference in
Durham in just another 12 days or so.  Please join the discussion as I show how
at Takoma Village we articulated and modified our resale process, developed a
pool of qualified buyers, enriched our orientation of new members and in the
process substantially turned around our workshare participation by members.
We’re much, much better at helping people decide if they are a “match” for
living in our community.   In just over a year, we’ve also brought in more than
$20,000 in contributions to the community by sellers grateful to have our team
help them w/ the resale of their home.  These contributions are being used to
fund our new solar installation.  It’s a win-win for everyone!

The session is from 3:30-5:00 p.m. on Saturday. It’s titled:

How Our Resale and Rental Team Rebooted Workshare, Reinvigorated Our Community
and Raised $15,000 for Capital Improvements

(we’ve raised another $5K since I submitted the proposal!)

Looking forward to seeing you at the conference!

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC