Re: Holiday decorations and Political Expression
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 09:35:42 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 20, 2015, at 2:05 PM, Martha Scotford <martha.scotford [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We are beginning discussions about holiday decorations and political
> expression in our common spaces. I would be interested in any community
> policies related to this and/or reports on your discussions.

We have decorations for any holiday people want to celebrate. Usually
Christmas, Sukkot, Chanukah, an egg roll on Easter, an Indian (as in India)
festival of lights holiday (I’ve forgotten the name), and Seders.

If a holiday isn’t celebrated, it is because there is no one who celebrates
that holiday who wants to organize it. Decorations are donated.

The only problem we had was in the first few years when it was not understood
that the Christmas tree stays up past Christmas Day. A Jewish household planned
a family gathering on the day after Christmas that included relatives who were
traditional and would be horrified. We compromised by including only photos and
lights. No angels, no creche, etc.

We still have a secular tree though some small wooden and straw angels have
crept in. We put up the tree on a Friday at least a week before Christmas and
it is taken down on New Years Day. That was a compromise between the Catholic
tradition which puts the tree up on the fourth Sunday before Christmas day and
the Episcopalians who put it up on Christmas Eve and leave it up until Epiphany
in January.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines