Re: Common house design
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 10:55:09 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Tom,

An "affirmative echo" to your comment on acoustics. At Jamaica Plain Cohousing we have just completed a round of capital improvements, around ten years after moving in. One of these has been to improve the acoustics in the Great Room. The work was quite involved, expensive, required professional consulting and project work, and should have been done while we were originally constructing our community. That being said, the results are wonderful! Virtually all the echos have vanished, we can understand each other much better in meetings and social occasions, and some who have hearing problems can now participate in discussions even when the room is crowded.

To paraphrase a common aphorism: When is the best time to make sure you have good common house acoustics? Before construction. When is the second-best time to make sure you have good common house acoustics? Right now.

Regards,
David Heimann
Jamaica Plain Cohousing