Re: Common house design
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 08:07:01 -0700 (PDT)
I think an overly loud environment is most salient during meals when people
are, after all, there to chat with each other and there's unavoidable noise
from all the diners. So, a primary outcome should be "people can easily
chat with the person next to them or across the (not too wide!!) table
during meals."

Another issue for us was that our commercial refrigerator turned out to be
VERY LOUD when the compressor is running - annoying for everyone and making
it difficult for our more hard-of-hearing members to fully participate in
meetings in the Great Room which adjoins the kitchen. Also, our commercial
dishwasher is pretty loud, which means that meal cleanup when a meeting
immediately follows was often problematic.

We've come up with a home-made acoustical-panel solution to close off the
two big kitchen passthrough openings when needed, after years of
complaining to ourselves about it. Containing kitchen noise to some
reasonable extent should be considered in your design.
    Muriel at Shadowlake Village, Blacksburg, VA