Re: Common house design
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 07:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
Muriel — I so agree w/ containing kitchen noise.  Our commercial dishwasher is
a noise hog.  Once it’s turned on … conversation is killed.  I truly think
commercial appliances are overrated in cohousing communities.  (Cool.  That
statement should spark some conversation on this list …)

The best solution I’ve ever seen was Matt Worsick’s design of the CH for
Harmony Village (which has to rank in the top 5 gorgeous and functional
cohousing designs ever created.  Yes.  I’m a total shill for Matt’s work…I’m
unrepentant …)

In HV’s  CH design, Matt separated the “noisy” kitchen workspaces by enclosing
them in a totally separate room from the less noisy, conversation friendly food
prep areas.  However, as I remember, the enclosed area had a glass door so one
could easily see into the workspace.  So separate but not out of sight. An
inspired design.

PS Matt — you can send that check to me anytime …  :-)

Best --

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC