Re: Common house design
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 05:11:52 -0700 (PDT)
We too had a problem with noise from the commercial refrigerator, and we
eventually replaced it with a large, standard residential.  Our meetings are
either in other spaces, or before the meal, so clean-up noise hasn’t been much
of an issue.

Conversation noise is a different matter.  I don’t have much evidence for this,
but I think large, banquette-style tables — long rectangular ones seating maybe
four on each side and one at each end — discourage group conversation and
encourage shouting.  I am thinking that the best seating for common dining,
group interaction, and normal-voice conversation may be a collection of 4 ft
diameter round tables seating six.

R Philip Dowds / Cornerstone Cohousing
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140

land:     617.354.6094
mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>