Re: Common house design
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 09:59:41 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting.  My experience with the long table is that you can converse
reasonably well with the person right or left, and the three (left, right and
center) directly across.  But after that, you are shouting past abutters who in
turn are trying to shout past you.  This interferes with my fine dining
experience.  In general, I prefer small groups of four to six at one table,
which facilitates linear rather than disjoint conversation — but I
intentionally mix it up, so I’m not sitting with the same small group month
after month.

It’s worth mentioning that when my wife and I were in China last year, most of
the meals were at a very large round table for about ten persons each, with the
rotating glass tray in the center.  Conversations broke down into two or three
adjacencies, and the food service worked extremely well.  As the tray slowly
rotates, both turned and paused according to individual motivation, you learn
about sharing, collaboration, and deferred gratification — all of which are
important to the cohousing lifestyle.

I believe it was you, Sharon of Takoma Village, who once mentioned a trend away
from huge common meals toward smaller, more selective "dinner parties".  Do I
remember correctly?

R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140

land:     617.354.6094
mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>