Re: Common house design
From: Virgil Huston (virgil.huston1955gmail.com)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 16:47:39 -0700 (PDT)
This is a very interesting thread and an important one. I think many people
may not realize that sometimes people who don't talk at meals are not being
anti-social, they can't hear conversations. I speak from experience. I
think large tables make communication difficult for anyone, but often
impossible for those with hearing loss and who have issues filtering out
background noise, even with great acoustics. Certainly poor acoustics make
it worse. Any round table over six people and any rectangular table with
over two people on the long side is going to have this issue and it gets
worse the bigger the table gets. I have problems even having conversations
on rectangular tables with the person next to me and my hearing is far from
the worst. There is background noise and there are multiple cross
conversations that go on. The worst is when people have a conversation
across you or where the person at the end is shouting to be heard by the
person a couple of seats down. Four top tables are the only way to go and
if you really need more, push two together. Beyond that, the entire purpose
of group meals is defeated. My two cents as the one who never says anything
because I hate asking people to repeat everything they say. I do a lot of
nodding and saying, "yep.