Re: Meals [was Common house design
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 08:37:02 -0700 (PDT)
I agree that simpler is a better option, for at least some if not all meals.
For a while I was running a mid-week “Dinners for Dozens” program that not only
involved a limited menu, but also set the ceiling at 12 adults total (with
kids, if any, at another table).  This was popular, but surprisingly, not
over-subscribed; there was no complaining about being “shut out”, in part
because the mid-week schedules of our members seemed heavily programmed, and
people tended to have standing commitments that kept them away from any one
specific night.  The small(er) group made for a gratifyingly low-noise dining
room.

With a range of arrival and departure times, it sounds like your whole meal
event takes a couple hours, with about two-thirds of the participants in the
room at any one time.  I am presuming that you serve cafeteria / buffet style,
not restaurant or family style.

Sorry if I got correspondents scrambled.

R Philip Dowds
175 Harvey Street, Unit 5
Cambridge, MA 02140

land:     617.354.6094
mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>