Re: Spiral Dynamics
From: Fran Hart (hartmagicfrontier.net)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 06:31:49 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ann & Willow,

I appreciate your inquiry about Spiral Dynamics.  I'm a novice with Spiral
Dynamics so I'm unable to explain it in a way that will do justice.  Don or
Diana can you help me here?

I found Spiral Dynamics while looking for tools or resources to work with
cultural needs, MO's or core beliefs.  During my 19 years of creating and
living in cohousing, it's been my experience that when I (we) connect at
these core levels it more effective and more fun.  We can understand the
differences we have in strategies while staying connected to our shared
values, world views, visions.  I watch around me a collective consciousness
emerging (community, green, collaboration) and cohousing is on the leading
edge.  I experience the dynamic exhilaration on this leading edge as well as
the bumps along the road.  I'm looking for resources that can take the bumps
and turn them into resources and help navigate these changes.  I'm wondering
if it's more about an awareness than a tool.  And so I'm playing with Spiral
Dynamics in my own life and how I'm navigating leadership-followship in my
community to bring more thriving and resourcefulness into our lives.

I have received four replies, two asking for more information and two from
people using Spiral Dynamics in their communities.  One person described it
as human development work.  The other person gave me an example.  I'll let
them choose if they would like to post more to this chat.  Here is a brief
quote from one reply:

"I use spiral dynamics in my own understanding of big conflicts in
communities. Most people, and most community consultants I know of, usually
see conflict as "conflict" -- this one thing, which mediation and conflict
resolution can help. But I don't at all. I see conflict in communities as
having at least 4 or 5 causes, and one is paradigm differences. People
viewing the world from completely different ideas of what is real and what
is important and then feeling upset and baffled when others don't see
"what's obvious" when discussing a proposal in a meeting."

I am interested in Spiral Dynamics because I see it as a research-based map
of how cultures evolve.  Each culture is described in memes with certain
values and world views held within the memes, and always evolving.  We are
at a time where "culture" is making an evolutionary leap from the first tier
to the second tear.  Green meme is the final stage in the first tier, yellow
meme is the first stage in the second tier.  Cohousing is very much in the
Green meme moving towards the yellow.  So I'm curious how others in the
communities movement are utilizing this resource.

http://www.spiraldynamics.com/  About the book
<http://www.spiraldynamics.com/book/book.htm> SPIRAL DYNAMICS: Mastering
Values, Leadership, and Change
by Don Beck and Chris Cowan*

I appreciate your curiosity in learning new things and I'm looking forward
to learning more from my larger community.

Cheers,

Fran

**

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them."
- Albert Einstein

Fran Hart

Bayfield, Colorado

970-884-1139