Re: Affordable and Small Houses
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 07:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 25, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Emilie Parker <emilie.v.parker [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I really love that small house.  Several times I've had it explained to me
> that the small house 900sf-ish single family one story is not a good resale
> prospect in a PUD because the cost to build is just not that much less in
> required sales price than a two story -- 1800sf-ish plus basement.

But you have to heat them and maintain them — refinish floors,  paint, etc.
Plus have a larger HVAC and tend to accumulate more things. Larger rugs. My
floors need refinishing and will cost close to $2,000 plus 5 days of living
somewhere else. Painting will cost the same. In a smaller place it would be
half that.

It’s not just about construction costs. What can you afford down the line?

But with a project in Florida, the greatest demand was for one bedrooms and the
bank refused to fund them. No resale value. And that’s what people wanted!!!!

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC