Table layout for conversations at common meals. [Was common house design]
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 11:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
I can't hear when there is background noise, but we did good acoustic work in
our great room. That includes hardwood floors so the chairs don't make much
noise when the slide on the floor.

We have rectangular tables that are a bit big for 2 on each side and 1 on each
end, but we set them up with 3 on each side and 1 on each end....and then
people put another person in on the end rather than start the next table. Its
"welcoming".

The result (with our great acoustics) is as one person said: I can talk to the
person to my left, my right, and the three people across from me (sometimes
plus 2 more counting the two on the end).

I've never understood the attraction of round tables where I can talk to the
person to my left and right and no one else. I'm not a great conversationalist
so those two people generally talk to the person on their other side and I
simply eat in noisy silence. At the rectangular table I can  hear the
conversation at my end and contribute when its in my topic areas.

NOTE that we also have a niche with doors and the kids love to go in there and
shut the doors, so the noise in the great room is almost all conversation, not
yelling.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
www.worcesterfellowship.org