Re: The 2015 Conference in Durham & Future Conferences
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 04:20:37 -0700 (PDT)
I’m only half on board for standardizing the locations.  I suppose there’s an
argument that, now that China has built such spectacular facilities, all future
Olympics should be held in Beijing.  Moreover, Durham is a great, great choice:
 An interesting and affordable city, more “central” than (for instance) Boston,
and with many, extraordinarily diverse cohos within a short driving distance =
great for tours.  A repeat in Durham would not be a mistake.  And yet …

And yet, part of the fun for my wife and me is that of going somewhere new and
different, somewhere we’ve not been before.  Location, location and location
are always important.  Part of the significance of a new and different location
each time is (a) the conference can mobilize, enthuse and (re)incorporate the
energy and commitment of a new set of local host communities, and (b) there is
better probability of seeing some new faces along with the familiar faces.

If the conference is held in Durham again four years from now, will Susan and I
come again?  At our age, this question is fraught with hidden implications.
But assuming we do have the choice … I have to say it’s not currently clear
that we would choose the repeat.

Thanks,
RPD