Re: Funding and Organizational Model for Coho US
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 05:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info>
due to a format problem.
Sharon Villines wrote:

>To my knowledge the funding and organizational model for Coho US is a
>community membership model. I think it is because it based on a
>fundamentally flawed assumption ? that cohousing communities have a
>commitment to the cohousing movement.
>
>Most members of my community have no knowledge of the national cohousing
>organization or any interest in a movement. It isn’t a cause. I was shocked
>when I joined this group that people were not expected to read at least one
>of the books on cohousing. Some if not many had no knowledge of other
>cohousing communities. They saw the flyer on a bulletin board somewhere,
>thought it sounded like something interesting, and it matched their
>political and social ideals. They moved in because they wanted to live here,
>not to join a movement. They have their own movements.
>
>And we have the #1 cohousing advocate and activist Ann Zabaldo living in our
>midst. We are a member of the national organization primarily because she
>advocates it. And once a budget item is in the budget, it tends to stay.
>
>So a membership organization supported by communities is probably not the
>model that will ever work. More communities will probably not provide the
>level of support the movement needs.

Totally agree. Other than one conference held locally while we were in
development – which just about all our members attended – only one other
person in my community besides me has attended a Coho/US conference since we
moved in twelve years ago. My neighbors are VERY active in all sorts of
political, social, and spiritual movements…but NOT the cohousing movement.
Cohousing is the place they come home to (and often hold their committee
meetings and fundraisers).

------------------------------

Eris Weaver, Founding member, FrogSong (Cotati, CA)

Graphic Facilitator & Group Process Consultant

 <mailto:eris [at] erisweaver.info> eris [at] erisweaver.info • 707-338-8589 •
<http://www.erisweaver.info/> http://www.erisweaver.info

“On days when you have no ideas at all, the best thing you can do is start
doodling.” Charles M. Schulz

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/erisweaver/> social-linkedin-box-blue-icon
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eris-Weaver-Facilitator-Group-Process-Consul
tant/59352022195> social-facebook-box-blue-icon
<https://twitter.com/erisweaver> twitter-icon <http://erisweaver.info/blog/>
wordpress

fa cil i tāt: to make easier