Sociocracy at the Conference
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 07:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
First thank you to the many people who have thanked me for my posts on
Cohousing-L privately and in person at the conference. I do spend more time on
them than I probably should but I’m a writer so I write. And I use writing to
figure out problems, opportunities, ideas, etc. So thank you again.

There were many people interested in Sociocracy at the conference. I was
surprised how many people showed up for the sociocracy gathering Friday late
afternoon and for the general governance discussion who were not in communities
that had even had workshops on sociocracy or were practicing. They came because
they were interested in knowing more. There was standing room only in the
sociocracy sessions (as well as the other sessions).

I was late on Friday because I thought the session started at 5:00. In my
absence, Lyndall Parris, bless her heart, started a round but discovered almost
no one knew anything about sociocracy so they couldn’t share information. What
to do? Fortunately, Jerry Koch Gonzales was there, had the diagrams from his
sociocratic community, and stepped in with a 1.5 hour introduction. Jerry is an
enthusiastic sociocratic and NVC trainer and was going full force when I
arrived, even after his all day intensive done with Diana Leafe Christian.
(Diana was sacked out on the floor using a backpack for a pillow; Jerry, still
full of energy.)

In the discussion of governance on Saturday, we had a room with chairs around
the edges so many people couldn’t get in. I asked those who were comfortable on
the floor to sit there to free up chairs. I asked the side of the circle by the
door to move their chairs forward but people couldn’t get in and left.

I started with a round and discovered that people had little or nothing to say
about governance generally. They were there to learn more about sociocracy
and/or to clarify what they had heard or were having problems with in their
understanding and implementation of sociocracy. I answered questions, expanding
my responses to provide theory and context. Jerry had his organizational charts
from the workshop and gave an explanation. AND at the end, he took those who
wanted to continue out to a back hallway leading to unused ballrooms and did a
demonstration of the circle structure. (I was exhausted by that time so I
didn’t see what they did.)

I would love to hear about Jerry and Diana’s workshop as well as the responses
to Jerry’s hallway demonstration.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines