Re: Funding and Organizational Model for Coho US
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 09:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
Many thanks to the good comments on a revenue model for sustaining Coho/US.
To confirm:

Coho/US is not a membership organization; we are a 501(3) nonprofit
organization. We do not require membership dues from individuals or
cohousing communities, and our services as a connector and clearinghouse to
grow and support cohousing are available to everyone, not just "members."

Coho/US relies on financial support from individuals and communities both.
Individuals gifts can be claimed as a charitable donations; cohousing
communities may prefer a reference to membership dues or support, and this
is fine. "Membership" can be a generic term!

In 2014, I sent out two requests to all our subscribers (9,300) to
encourage individual charitable donations; this yielded gifts from
individuals of $4,061. We have invested time and will continue to invest
time in growing this support from individuals.

Also in 2014, we encouraged all cohousing communities to support Coho/US,
and we received more gifts from cohousing communities than ever before -
over $13,000. Just last month, I sent a "Community Connection" newsletter
to encourage planning for annual support to Coho/US - sent to those who are
tagged as reps for their cohousing communities. I am happy to share this
with others.

However, with an operational budget in 2015 of $62,444, Coho/US continues
to be challenged in raising sufficient funds from individuals and
communities to be sustainable.

A strict membership structure as a business model for associations (one
that requires dues, and provide services to a select audience) generally
only works well for trade associations representing for profit businesses
(think American Medical Association).

Cohousing communities are not profit centers, and support is based on a
decision to recognize that Coho/US (1) provides credibility and relevancy
for cohousing as a housing and living option; (2) attracts the public to
cohousing, thus helping provide communities with robust waiting lists; and
(3) serves as a clearinghouse and connector for cohousing resources.

Other sources of revenue include advertising (which at $50 per month for a
classified ad is a great deal! we keep this cost affordable as a service to
the cohousing world), and support from our cohousing professionals
<http://www.cohousing.org/professionals>.

I appreciate the ideas for foundation grant support; as a career nonprofit
fundraiser, our status is a huge challenge for traditional funding (we
serve cohousers who for the most part are not foundation target
populations). Project-oriented work as Sharon Villines has suggested is
likely our only avenue, but that requires staffing, and resource
investment; consideration would have to be very thoughtful to balance our
priorities. Please share ideas! But understand that project grant funding
does not support operational funds generally - so we are back to the
challenge of sustainability.

A challenge that inspires me actually, and one reason I am committed to
this position, knowing the importance of stabilizing and strengthening our
basic organization.
Alice Alexander, Coho/US Executive Director