Denmark Cohousing [Was Innovative Models for Independent, Assisted and Full Care Homes
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:25:13 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jun 25, 2015, at 11:43 AM, ML Burke <ml_burke [at] telus.net> wrote:

> Another idea for affordable independent, supportive or assisted living is to
> use a student housing model such as "Tietgen" in Denmark.  It is a tall
> building full of pods each containing 4- 6 private rooms with bathrooms
> surrounding a kitchen/living/dining room.  Folks could live here
> independently sharing cooking, etc., or have a caregiver or nurse who looks
> after that pod.  A large atrium and landscaped greenspace provide additional
> areas for socializing.  Or you could mix it up with regular apartments a
> couple of floors of collective pods.

I was struck by a presentation at the Cohousing Conference on cohousing in
Denmark that the communities were much more like tall apartment buildings just
like most of the American condos.

They had gardens maintained by residents which our condos don’t normally have.
Residents are required to spend 4 or so hours a month on community support and
maintenance, including gardening.

They also have elevators which many or our cohousing layouts can’t support --
not enough floors to justify the cost. But lack of an elevator is a major
restriction for anyone with a temporary or permanent disability, older people
for whom stairs are often difficult (hard on the hips), and anyone with a
stroller, shopping cart, basket of laundry and one hand on a toddler.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC