Re: Electricity and water, paying the whole bill
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 14:48:28 -0700 (PDT)
Well. Some of our utilities are not metered. The bill is divided in Half.  We
each pay an equal share for half the bill and the other half is divided by
square footage.

I am not a fan of this. Some households have multiple people in them including
renters and houses that have just one person end up subsidizing that unit.

The best control you can have for energy use is a meter. When it cost people
they watch what they use.  Example here is our gas is not separately metered.
Households that have gas fireplaces can simply turn on the gas fireplace and
heat their house. And the rest of us pay for that Plus our own heating bill.

While your initial cost is lower for a single meter how would you ever be able
to tell where your energy cost are going in the future?

For gas you said you could use flowmeters to the homes. I'm not sure how you
would measure electric use.

When energy costs are low maybe this is seen as a savings. But his energy costs
rise which they always do I think it reads friction.

No, I am definitely not a fan of Single metering.

Sent from my iPhone