Re: Electricity and water, paying the whole bill
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 03:52:54 -0700 (PDT)
Lee Stork <txbicyclecamping [at] yahoo.com>
deleting quoted digest and restoring subject line.

restore subject line when replying.

Hello,
I am responding to the series of message about the single metering of
utilities or the group metering.  I live in an apartment building.  My usual
usage of electricity per month is about $5.00.  The cost to have the meter
is $10.00.  To me the ideal way to handle this in cohousing would be one big
group meter for the entire bill with the $10.00 charge for the meter.  Each
individual unit would have their own meter to measure their usage.  The
individual unit would have to pay for their own meter.  I checked on the
cost of a meter at one time.  At that time it was about $170.  Paying the
public utility to rent their meter for 30 years would be $10.00 X 12 months
for 30 years =s $3600.  Me myself I would rather pay the $170 for the meter
once than have to pay the $3,600 to rent the meter for 30 years.  One would
have to do a little calculating to get the bills out and collect the money.
Seems like a small price to pay to save $3,600 - $170 for a net savings of
$3,430.  Hope this helps some.
Lee Stork