Re: common house use by outside groups
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 13:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jul 5, 2015, at 1:54 PM, John Carver <jcarver [at] islandnet.com> wrote:
>

> On 05/07/2015 8:46 AM, Diana Carroll wrote:
>> On Sunday, July 5, 2015, John Carver <jcarver [at] islandnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> . There is no fee but an appropriate donation is expected.
>>>
>> What is the difference between a fee and an expected donation?
>
> A fee would be a fixed amount or rate, documented in rules or bylaws.
> "Expected donation" means if you're going to use our space we hope you'll
> help pay towards the cost. There are guidelines for what might be appropriate.
>
> Then again, "it's all in how you look at it.”

It may not be. Setting fees is renting and may incur insurance costs and
liability that donations don’t. It would be complicated by charging fees to
people who are not associated with the community vs those who are.

With the IRS, I think intent plays a role, but with insurance there are set
rules. A car once ran into me broadside on a parking lot. Both our premiums
were increased because “parking lot accidents are always both drivers' fault.”

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC