Re: Fences
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 11:58:56 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA, is long-built, with half of our 9 acre
site in single-family home sites. Fences here are sometimes desired not just to
keep dogs in, but to keep deer out: they munch through landscaping. Eight of
our 24 households have fenced their yards, all with either short fencing (for
short dogs) or fencing that is easy to see through and doesn't create much of a
visible boundary.

This hasn't been a problem. We still have lots of open space, not only a large
central commons, but many smaller areas of commons that thread among the home
sites, so none of the fencing interferes with walking all around the site.
Because of the deer, we also have fencing around our community garden and
orchards, though, again, it's quite see-through. Typical is rigid hog wire
panels, with a grid of maybe 4"x8" (?) and wooden frames. (Google hog wire
fences if you want to see what that looks like.)

We also fenced an area of our commons as an area where dog owners can let their
dogs run around, while the owners watch and socialize with each other. That is
just black plastic netting, and is hardly noticeable.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
where it's what we consider hot, at 78 degrees
  • Re: Fences, (continued)