Re: Fences
From: Mabel Liang (mabeltwomeeps.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 18:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

I looked up Shadowlake Village Cohousing, and it has 33 acres. That's
very different from the density Rita was describing.

Where I live, at Cornerstone Cohousing in North Cambridge, MA, we have
32 units on 1 1/4 acres. The exclusive use areas are the size of a
balcony or small patio. All of the land where you can plant something is
common, except for the unit where someone chose to not have the patio
installed. Some townhouse owners have to be reminded that the land next
to their unit is _not_ "their" back yard. The only fencing we have is on
some of the perimeter. I think we would feel very chopped up if these
small areas were fenced off.

Looking at our policies, there is nothing that outright prevents an
owner from erecting a fence, but there is an external alterations policy
that is supposed to be followed that involves either being willing to
reverse your alteration or posting your proposed alteration for 30 days,
receiving comments and resolving conflicts before proceeding. I think
there would be objections to a fence. Land use is a hot button issue
here. There's not enough of it.

-- Mabel :-)

mabel [at] twomeeps.com
Mabel Liang