Leadership Responsibilities [was What is the Etiquette?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 07:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 2, 2015, at 7:23 PM, Kay Wilson <kwilsonfisk [at] comcast.net> wrote:

> As of this time, despite several requests for someone to take over
> leadership, no one has stepped up - probably in part because the two people
> that just stepped down were doing such an excellent job that everyone else
> feels like the bar is set too high.

One of the responsibilities of leadership is training people to take over.
Large companies usually have several people who are being groomed and tested.
News anchors, for example, are given major parts on the network satellite
stations to build audience trust and develop skills.

As many of us at Takoma Village approach the over-65, some over 70, we are
realizing the importance of brining in the (much) younger people who have moved
in in the last few years into leadership positions. We all stepped up in the
beginning with no knowledge or training because things needed to be done.

It was crucial in the beginning to get things done no matter what. We couldn’t
say, "I don’t know how.” If we wanted anything we had to learn how to install
and maintain it.

The people who moved in after we were a stable well developed condo with many
social programs in place, don’t see the work that has been done and that is
still being done by the same people after 14+ years. They contribute many
things, like a stronger meal  program, better developed gardens, renewed
interest in energy conservation, etc., but have only begun to step into
leadership roles.

The challenge that several of us took on individually was to include a
young/new person in every project, not to just work with each other because
that’s what we have done and know how to do.

This is also true for maintaining the cohousing culture. An example from
another dimension — a friend whose family had a substantial foundation that
supported liberal causes and projects, realized that the third generation had
grown up with no commitment to those causes. They were just privileged. The
first generation had to take over and do the education if they wanted the
foundation to continue its mission.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines