Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy?
From: Daniel Lindenberger (danielsmallboxcms.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 03:33:40 -0700 (PDT)
I'd put forward that while you can't have hierarchy without structure,
there are plenty of ways to have structure without hierarchy. (Note that
I'm not saying hierarchy is necessarily a bad thing, nor that its
nonexistent in cohousing culture, either in terms of authority or social
pecking order).

Thought I'd share an interesting paper that (to drastically oversimplify)
shows the move from individual to hierarchical to networked organization as
natural (and potentially optimal) as systems become more complex:
http://www.necsi.edu/projects/yaneer/Civilization.html

Differentiation and delegation don't require hierarchy, though that's the
model many of us are most familiar with. I've been part of several
organizations where differentiated roles developed without any hierarchy
being in place (some went on to develop a hierarchy, others not).

To risk waxing overenthusiastic, I'd put forward that the efforts within
cohousing to create functional forms of non-hierarchical structure is an
example of part of what my "big picture" brain loves about Cohousing - in
various ways I think we often are wrestling with precisely the issues and
challenges that we as a species need to figure out. Differentiated 'power
with' roles rather than 'power over' roles definitely be on that list for
me.

Sleepy thoughts for the evening,
Daniel