Re: finance committees
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 02:25:34 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with the Meadow Wood view.  I don’t know how it is for dentists, but I
know how it is for architects:  There are quite a few time- and cost-tracking /
billing / accounting programs custom-tailored to serve the architecture and
engineering professions, and in my opinion none of them work.  What I ended up
doing was “keeping book” in a cheap generic program (in my case, MYOB /
AccountEdge, not QuickBooks), and running the business via an manually linked
relational database I customized in FileMaker.  MYOB better conforms to GAAP
(Generally Accepted Accounting Practices), but QB is easier for civilians to
use.  Maybe there are some HOA-dedicated, property management programs out
there that works fine, but my experience with all these proprietary programs is
that they never quite match what I want to do, really, and they are impossible
to modify.

Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>