Re post in digest, Leadership & Consensus Decision-Making
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 16:38:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Stephenie Frederick and all,

        I am so glad Stephanie notes consensus is a decision-making method but
not an entire governance method, and that community governance involves much
more than decision-making.
        I want to encourage people to consider the tasks and activities
required for the ongoing governance and management of their community project.
        In my experience, the ongoing process of community governance --
management -- includes both the _content_ of decisions that need to be made
(the "what") and the process (the "how"  decisions are made). For example:

        (1) Finances. How do we collect, budget, spend, invest, and keep track
of our community finances (including sending invoices, collecting money, doing
bookkeeping, keeping financial records, and paying bills?

        (2) Labor. How do we determine what community labor is required and who
will do it and how do we know it has been done?
        Is it volunteer-only and informal (it gets done or it doesn't?)
        Do we create a community labor system with a certain labor requirement
per member per month? And if so, do we track it formally, perhaps with people
turning in labor sheets to show they've' done their labor and met their labor
requirements for that month? And if so, which tasks do we officially recognize
as needed for our ongoing community management (like cleaning the Common
House), and which might we consider informal, impromptu, and simply voluntary
(like writing a presenting a skit about our community)?
        Do we have a committee or a designated manager to coordinate things and
match labor tasks to people willing to do those tasks? Do we hire the necessary
labor in a part-time, as-needed way? If so, do we hire our own members only or
also hire neighbors or other non-community members?
        Do we do as Stephenie suggests and what some cohousing communities do,
and hire a part-time manager to coordinate this work and do some of these these
tasks?

        (3) Information. How do we be open and transparent with our members re
community information, so everyone can know what's going on re our finances,
our needed tasks and how they're getting done, what our ByLaws, CC&Rs, and
other formal documents say, and what decisions we've made over time (for
example, with an online and/or physical Decision Log, organized both by date
and by topic alphabetically) that all members can access easily?

        (4) Decision-making. How we make these decisions.

        I now believe how a community governs itself -- manages itself -- is
the foundation for how well it succeeds and thrives.
        (When a community uses consensus, I recommend they create a
governance/management method to address all the above topics and use the N St.
Consensus Method to make their decisions. Or else using Sociocracy, which is
both a governance structure and a decision-making method.)
        Thank you again, Stephenie, for bringing up this important point.

        Diana