Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 05:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
A few thoughts about the leadership thing:
Bosses don’t exist without employees, generals don’t exist without soldiers,
and leaders don’t exist without followers.  Employees and soldiers may be
trapped in, and abused by, bad institutions, but followers are typically
volunteers.  For instance, the followers of Donald Trump or Tom Brady have
simply volunteered themselves into a fan club.
Whether formally institutionalized or informally self-evolved, cohousing — like
virtually all social organizations — has both leaders and followers.  It just
does.  But cohousing shuns formalized hierarchical roles like CEO, President,
Chairman and so on, so the power of leaders is informal:  It’s a matter of
influence, not command.
Influence varies from issue to issue.  The leader in financial management —
whose opinion about how to collect, save and spend money is well-regarded — is
probably not the same leader who can influence conflict resolution or the meals
program or policies for use of the Kids’ Room.
Influence varies over time.  Sometimes it slowly earned and accrued, sometimes
it is frittered away by erratic performance.  Change of life circumstance can
cause someone to step forward into new leadership roles, or drop out of old
ones.
Theoretically, the cohousing model offers a wide range of leadership
opportunities, and everyone can be a leader at something, at least sometimes.
But and however …
Not everyone wants to lead.  Some people are happy to remain followers:  Give
me a meaningful task, let me do it, and thank me when I’ve done it.  There is
no shame in being a reliable and productive follower.  It’s only followers that
make leaders possible.
So, does any of this shed any light on the hierarchical thing?  I’m still not
convinced that pursuing and smiting the demon of hierarchy is at the top of my
cohousing priority list …

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>