Re: Looking for model cohousing decision logs
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 10:11:14 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 9, 2015, at 9:29 AM, Kathy Icenogle <kathy.icenogle [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I wish I knew [Wordpress] like I know Google Sites. And, unfortunately,
> migrating at this point would be tough.)

Here are the directions for exporting the information in Google Sites using the
Google Sites Liberation Tool. The directions on Google’s own site don’t include
“sites” as an option. (Don’t ask. Google has its own unique cognitive style.)

https://hec.su/bjJK

I haven’t tried this so I don’t know want format they are exported in. There
must be some way to import it to Wordpress, even if you have to go in and
transfer some data into other fields. Wordpress at least gives you good search
options.

> Crystal Farmer wrote:

> Sharon, can you give some more details on how your WordPress records work?
> Are these internal files or do you have a website that's searchable? Do you
> assign keywords like you would for a blog post?

They work exactly like a blog post. You use a category, “Decision Log”, that is
used for nothing else. There are plugins that allow you to search a category so
you can search a topic only in the Decision Log and not get all the entries in
minutes or photos.

The problem with Yahoo searches is that if I search “furnishings” I get results
from every message that was sent with the word in it, even if the word is only
in the trailing messages and has nothing to do with the main message.

When I researched best ways to start a wiki, I found that the best method was
to allow people to just start entering data and organize it as it seems right.
A structure will evolve. Then a Head Gnome goes through to move, correct,
structure, etc  Before the gnome gets to it the information is still there to
search even if it isn’t perfectly organized.

In Wordpress, entries can be emailed by anyone to the email address set up for
posting by email. If the subject line includes "decision log” the entries can
be easily found and categories, keywords, etc., added.

Wordpress is not awful to learn. You can start with Wordpress.org, a free site.
It has limited options but they are entirely sufficient for a basic site and
its a good way to learn. Otherwise you can get into deep water too soon. One
limitation is that your address has “wordpress" in it.

Then when you are comfortable, you can export the data and transfer it to your
own server and freestanding Wordpress version that allows pretty much
everything you could dream up. Takoma Village has a hosting account with
Bluehost. We have a main site and a password protected members site. We have
.takomavillage.org email addresses available for residents.

Bluehost has a dedicated Wordpress service that optimizes Wordpress accounts
and has Wordpress support staff. Very good support by telephone, email, and
chat. The expertise required is only the willingness to take the time.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC