|Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy?||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)|
|Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:00:51 -0700 (PDT)|
I think we can and do strive for openness and transparency. For respectful listening, and for technologies like rounds to help encourage equivalency. For faithful adherence to the good practices of the consent methodology. Really, truly, we embrace these principles and animate these techniques. And yet … And yet, in the vast majority of groups of which I’ve been part, and especially for larger groups of a couple dozen people, the participation quotient falls into the bell-shaped curve. In one tail there are a few people who seem to be a cornucopia of information, ideas, interpretations and initiatives — people who are always contributing something that is at least relevant, or maybe even decisive. In the middle are people who rise to different occasions in different ways. And in the other tail, there always seem to be some people waiting for the meeting to be over. Other than to work in significantly smaller groups, I don’t know how to fix this. But I suspect I’ll take much flak if I opine that the people in the first tail are the leaders. R Philip Dowds 175 Harvey Street, Unit 5 Cambridge, MA 02140 land: 617.354.6094 mobile: 617.460.4549 email: rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net> > On Aug 11, 2015, at 5:04 PM, Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> > wrote: > > Yes, because decisions are made at the top. Although people are consenting to > it in a passive way. The basic tenet of sociocracy is that the group decides > as equals how they will proceed — who will make decisions and how on a daily > basis.
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy?, (continued)
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? R Philip Dowds, August 5 2015
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? Elizabeth Magill, August 6 2015
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? R Philip Dowds, August 7 2015
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? Sharon Villines, August 11 2015
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? R Philip Dowds, August 11 2015
- Re: Can We Live Without Hierarchy? Kathryn McCamant, July 30 2015
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.