Re: "Governance"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 08:41:22 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 25, 2015, at 11:04 AM, Sue STIGLEMAN <sstigleman [at] bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
> I like "organizational structure" to cover the part that defines group
> structure and the relationships between the different pieces -- like is there
> a Board, what sort of teams are there, who has what authority, what's
> required to delegate authority from one body to another.
> And something like Decision-making to cover the processes (consensus, voting,
> etc) that are used for making decisions.
> From my understanding, sociocracy is sometimes discussed in terms of an
> organizational structure and sometimes a decision-making structure.  I think
> it would be great for sociocracy to be its own tag, though.

Sociocracy is a governance structure or organizational structure based on
consent decision-making.

It can also be defined as a "design system” or an “organizational design
system" as opposed to a set of practices or methods for doing things. It places
the emphasis on integral communications structure and a decision-making method
that ensures equivalence between its members. Full-group consensus and a
modified form of Robert’s Rules of Order don’t form a system that coherently
designed. it can work but isn’t optimal.

Sociocracy is designed so communities can continually adjust to changing
circumstances--new members, disasters, opportunities, etc.--without disrupting
community life. It values both scientific method of measuring and evaluating,
and the social values of “freedom and equality for all.”

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Sociocracy: A Deeper Democracy